Another tasty soup from my favourite book on soups, "New Covent Garden Soup Company's Book of Soups". Very easy to make too.
Ingredients (serves 6):
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely sliced
350gr celery, cut into 1cm slices
225gr white of leek, sliced
450gr potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 strips of lemon rind
seeds from 5 cardamon pods, crushed
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp sugar
900ml chicken stock (recipe here)
150ml single cream
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice, to taste
110gr cooked and peeled prawns, roughly chopped
1) Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, celery, leek and potatoes. Cook gently for 5 minutes covered, without colouring.
2) Stir in the lemon rind, cardamon seeds, celery salt, sugar and stock.
3) Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4) Cool a little, remove the lemon rind, then puree using a liquidiser.
5) Stir in the cream and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
6) Add the prawns and reheat gently without boiling.